Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Drawing The Line: Smack My Head and Call Me An Ice Cream Truck

I think it took me 3 hours to calm down enough to go to sleep after I read an article written by a pretty "famous" christian in retaliation to World Vision's decision. It had me so furious because these are the types of behaviors that (rightfully) give Christians a bad name (or better yet, it gives Jesus Himself a bad rep). Can the ones that just want to love on people be called Lovetians. Christloves. Nobullhornians. Giveusachancians. You get my point...

It would be against my better principles to drop names of who I'm talking about (who wrote the article) , but if you've already read the article, than you may know who I'm talking about. This one doesn't mind using his bullhorn. And yes, I write bullhorn whilst rolling my eyes. My forehead hurts from smacking my head. You get the picture.

So why my frustration? (Lord help me to say the right words)

Jesus Himself said, (Mark 12:30-31) (NASB)

"and you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.”


 "Love God and Love others." period. There wasn't any clause in there that said, "love God, love others, but only if you guys agree on doctrinal views that almost have nothing to do with salvation, even if you think it may, let's just be safe and stay away from those people."

I understand that we all have our convictions of following the moral/spiritual laws of the Bible. But I truly am irritated with the words: tolerant and intolerant. I don't think those words are even in the Bible. I keep myself in check with my own personal convictions. I'll answer those that ask me how I feel about a particular subject. But to push my conviction on someone else, condemning them in the same breath and justifying it by calling it "intolerant of sin" or "I'm holding you accountable" just rubs me the wrong way. (unless I have asked a friend to hold me accountable, that's different)

I'm so sick of different doctrines dictating other's lifestyles. Condemnation instead of encouragement to serve in Love. Saying you're not enough because you are committing a particular sin instead of valuing a human being who is still ever so precious to God. Being so sure that they are going to bring down the masses, when ironically, your bullhorn may do just the trick on your end. (ok, that was jabby)

Mexico 2002
The picture above is me 10 years ago, in Mexico serving with a medical missions team. It's not World Vision, but it was the closest thing I could go back to, in my own experience, when I think of what World Vision does on the ground. Serving a community in need.

Allowing us to sponsor children, having as much of a relationship as we desire, helping a community thrive and grow so it can stand on it's own legs. My husband and I have invested in World Vision for years now. There was once a boy we sponsored in the Philippines. After 2 years, we got a letter from WV stating that his community no longer needed the support, that they were able to thrive on their own. What a blessing it was to see this one to the end.

I only share this to bring us back to the bigger picture. The bigger picture here is helping the poor. Giving these children a chance to be these future leaders in their community in a big way. Giving these adults the esteem to provide for their families.

Why are Christians getting caught up in the details of exactly who ought to be serving such needs? Why are we stepping in the way of mouths being fed and fruitful work being created? Who are we to stop anyone from doing what God has laid on their hearts to do? Who the hell do we truly think we are when we take stands against something or someone that is doing good, and insist that it is, "in fact" evil?

For what cause? To spread God's love?

I'm not feelin' it.



Edit Update for clarity:
Here's a post that irked me: HERE
And here's one that didn't irk me: HERE







1 comment:

  1. "Love God. Love Others." was my personal mission statement for so long weird to see it in print again. Hmmmm....just thinking outloud.

    ReplyDelete