Friday, November 8, 2013

When Did You Suffer?

One of my favorite theologian authors had a recent interview where he discussed his newest book out. ("What We Talk About When We Talk About God"--- I haven't read it yet) When the conversation turned to this "awareness" of God being everywhere, he said that when he meets someone who is so "aware", their eyes are "open", he said the first thing he wants to ask them is...

 "When did you suffer?"   - Rob Bell

As I sat and watched him say that, it sent instant tears to my eyes. I looked over at my husband who was just as baffled. I've always loved his perspective and this is one reason why. 

It's true though. It's amazing how much suffering can lift this veil of ignorance. It takes the perseverance of that suffering to walk in this "eyes wide open" state where you can't help but feel God and see God in so many things that you never saw before. To be able to take a tough situation and see past it enough to say, "I know we will still be ok." Being able to find blessings among hardships. 

When did you suffer? 

Sometimes I look at my life and all it's events, some so painful with all it's loss, and some so joyful with all it's finding. The joyful times, I'm reminded of what I have. But the painful times, remind me not only of what I don't have, but that why I have what I have is that much greater. 

Yes, I've suffered. And I will continue to be put in situations or receive certain consequences that will make me suffer again and again. 

James 1:2-4

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials [or temptations], knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance [steadfastness]. And let endurance have its perfect result [work], so that you may be perfect [mature] and complete, lacking in nothing.


Wouldn't it be cool if one of God's ultimate goals in our lives is to simply see Him? Like really see Him? What if the perfection that He calls us to is simply being aware of His presence at all times?

When I look at my thought process now, and then remember my thought process 10/15 years ago... I see this scripture coming into fruition in my life. I'll admit it here.... ((deep sigh)).. I'm not perfect.. BUT I know that my suffering is not for nothing.




2 comments: